TTT: 5 Foreign Netflix shows you need to see

This post brought to you by the Top Ten Tuesday series over at That Artsy Reader Girl

When it comes to Netflix shows, I'm somewhat of an unintentional hipster.

Mention Stranger Things to me and I'll just stare blankly at you before telling you about this obscure Russian drama you just have. to. see. Somehow, without quite intending to, I manage to miss out on all the latest top shows that everyone and their mother are watching.

Instead of binging on Orange is the new black or Handmaid's Tale or really anything hip, I tend to watch obscure, mostly foreign, Netflix shows and let me tell you I have found some gems. So if you are trying to add a little diversity to your TV watching, read on!

The Ministry of Time

Image result for the ministry of time

Country of Origin: Spain 
Language: Spanish with good English subtitles
Genre: Sci-fi/Fantasy
Brief Summary: What if there were doors that lead to the past? And what if a Spanish bureaucracy was created to manage those doors? This fast-paced beautifully-shot drama features the lives and adventures of several agents who travel through time to advert disasters. 


Seyit ve Sura


Image result for seyit ve sura russian drama

Country of Origin: Russia 
Language: Russian? But also with random Turkish phrases? (with good English subtitles)
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance [WWI]
Brief Summary: This romance, which takes place in Russia during WWI, is a star-crossed lovers affair between a Turkish Russian officer ((yeah wanna guess how long it took me to figure out nationalities? aGeS)) and a Russian noblewoman. There are things I LOVE about this series ((hello healthy representations of masculinity)) and things I don't ((hello unhealthy representations of obsessive love)) but overall: highly recommend. 


Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Related image


Country of Origin: Australia 
Language: English
Genre: Historical Fiction, Murder Mystery [1920s]
Brief Summary: This is a fun murder mystery series featuring, well, Miss Fisher, a witty, brillant, English socialite. She somehow manages to come across dead bodies nearly everywhere she goes and forces her help upon the local police who want nothing to do with her. Overall it's a lot of fun!  


The Paradise

Image result for the paradise tv show


Country of Origin: England ((still counts as diverse right?? kind of?))
Language: English
Genre: Historical Fiction
Brief Summary: This series follows one girl as she leaves the countryside to work for one of the world's first department stores-- The Paradise. ((it's actually a lot more interesting than that sentence might lead you to believe!))

Land Girls

Image result for land girls tv show


Country of Origin: England 
Language: English
Genre: Historical Fiction, WWII
Brief Summary: During WWII women could join the Land Army-- where they were shipped out to British farms to help raise crops for the war effort. This series follows several city girls as they adjust to life on the farm and life during the war. Highly recommend!


HONORABLE MENTION

Okay so I've only seen the first episode of this series so I can't really recommend it, but! I so rarely see Koren art/shows/books/etc I felt like I should tell y'all about it anyway. 

Secret Healer

Image result for secret healer tv show

Country of Origin: South Korea
Language: Korean but with decent subtitles
Genre: Historical Fiction, Fantasy, romance?
Brief Summary: From IMDB: A barren queen seeks the help of shaman to give birth to a prince.


That's it from me! Five foreign netflix shows I love and one I just started. Have you heard of any of these? Any foreign shows I need to check out? 

No comments