Nonfiction Reading Challenge || Halfway through


Waaayy back in the snowy month of January, I decided to try something crazy.

No, I didn't pack up and move to Florida even though I DESPERATELY wanted to because: snow. ice. temperatures that can cause frostbite in 15 minutes. ew.

No, instead I started a challenge to read a type of book that up till then I had avoided like the plague.

Nonfiction. Say that word to January-me and I would have shuddered and pictured page after page of  boring dry information trying to force itself into my brain. But, for some reason, I decided that I needed to stop avoiding nonfiction and fully embrace it. Around Christmas I had randomly read my first NF book in ages and-- to my eternel surprise-- it wasn't dull or boring or horrible but rather it was amazing and riveting and who knew NF books could be like that??

I made a commitment to trying to read one NF book a month. To some that may not sound like anything arduous but to me it seemed like a hefty challenge.

Here we are, more than halfway through 2018 (?!) and I thought I would comment on how the challenge is going!

First off to the surprise of few I discovered that NF books can be utterly AMAZING and wildly interesting and not dull at all? This was a shock but to be honest I have yet to start a NF book that puts me to sleep. Back in January I made a quick list of NF books I might try this year: I can safely say I have read only two of those twelve, which brings me to my next point.

What have I read thus far?





Abundant Beauty by Marianne North



The Lost City of Z by David Grann  || My Review



52 Loaves by William Alexander


The Kitchen Counter Cooking School by Kathleen Flinn || My Review + Recipe Test


My Life in France by Julia Child || My Review



As you can see I am a couple of books behind my goal-- but considering how crazy my summer went I'm not surprised and nor am I discouraged. This challenge has been amazing, opening up an entirely new genre for me. I can't wait to see what NF books I discover between now and December!

What about you? Are you a NF lover? Have you read any of these books??

No comments