5 Star Reads I Found Through Other Blogs

Today I thought I would talk about one of the things I love most about book blogging: discovering amazing reads through other blogs. When I first started this blog I expected mainly to shout my love of literature into the void and...well that would be that. However literally from day one I found myself immersed in this vibrant, active community of other book lovers and I couldn't be happier about that.

So without further ado, here are five 5 star books I found from reading other people's blogs!


What: Long way to a small angry planet by Becky Chambers

Where: Greg's Book Haven

Why: This amazing sci-fic novel blew me away. I love how the author imagined all the complexities of the interaction between various alien cultures. This is also, coincidently, perhaps the only book I've ever convinced my friends IRL to give a go (and they loved it as much as I did!).












What: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

Where: I Wish I Lived in a Library (I think?)

Why: This lyrical book is everything I ever want from magical realism. I can't believe it took me so long to try! I bought it at a thrift store a year ago, but it was only after reading rave reviews that I decided to finally give it a try.












What: The Witches of New York by Ami Mckay

Where: Caffeinated Book Reviewer

Why: I adored this historical fiction novel with a magical twist. It was inventive, it featured the strength of female relationships, and it was just overall brillant.
















What: The darkest part of the forest by Holly Black

Where: A Magical World of Words (I think?)

Why: *sigh* Ahhh, this book. Dramatic. Lyrical. Novel. It was kind of amazing. And by kind of I mean TOTALLY.













What: The lost city of Z by David Grann

Where: Port Jericho 

Why: One of the most surprising things that has happened this year is my new found love of nonfiction! Back at the beginning of the year I decided to participate in the Nonfiction Reading Challenge and let me tell you, I was not looking forward to having to make my way through one nonfiction book a month. Ew. However something completely unexpected happened as I began to seek out NF books-- I found some really amazing ones! This book, review pending, is a gripping tale of a 19th century English explorer who, towards the end of his life, mysteriously disappeared into the Amazon. It was a page turner and not only was it engaging it was clear just how much research the journalist author put into this tale. Seriously. Go read this.

That's it for me! What are some of your favorite novels you've discovered through other blogs?

No comments