Beautiful Magical Realism || Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

I forgot to take a pretty photo of the book so I'll just show you pretty photos from my home
I bought Garden Spells roughly a year ago for about two dollars. I was at a fancy clothing thrift store and couldn't resist the urge to peruse their book section. It had a pretty cover-- and it was two dollars-- so I was sold. Once I got home I kept seeing this book pop up on other blogs, always to rave reviews.

Ehhh I don't know, I hesitated. The book seemed very literary fiction, very character driven, and I'm a sucker for a good plot. Maybe it won't be my cup of tea. 


And then recently on a whim I picked the book up off my shelf, decided to give a try, and was immediately blown away.

This book is beautiful, lyrical story about two sisters who dealt with a difficult past in dramatically different ways. From the start I was sucked in by the beautiful magical realism which sung from every page. There was the old lady who gave out random trinkets to strangers who called her crazy...only the trinket ends up being just what they suddenly needed the next day. There was the apple tree who tossed apples into the bedrooms, enticing the family, one bite and you'll see the biggest event in your life.

And while I think I'm a sucker for a good plot the truth is I'm enthralled by unique, innovative writing and this fit the bill. It never dragged, I tore through the book in a little over two days, and I can't wait to pick up the sequel.

If I had a qualm (and it's hard to find one) I felt like the book focused on the conflict (how can I love that which might be temporary?) but then sped through the resolution. However I have this complaint for many books (why can't I just read their happily ever after part for like the entire book??) and it's pretty minute.

I was shocked at how much I adored this book, considering how little I liked Practical Magic which I feel like is a very similar book. I think it all boils down to what I want out of a book when I pick it up. If you want a super plot-driven-tons-of-stuff-happens-every-second type of book, if you don't want introspection, if you don't want a slower paced book then maybe, right now, this isn't the book for you.

But I think you should read it anyway.

No comments