Top Ten Tuesday: 5 Books that surprised me

This post brought to you by the Top Ten Tuesday series over at its new location at That Artsy Reader Girl

Whew! This week has been a whirlwind and yes, it is only Tuesday. I am still scrambling to get posts up, because I had no time last weekend to write all my posts like I normally do. Still, I managed to cobble together a couple of books for this week's prompt: books that surprised me. Let's get right to it!

1158967Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen:

28372019I did not expect to love this novel so much! I picked it up at a thrift store a year ago and finally read it a couple weeks ago. From page one I was hooked. (review to come! but...I mean clearly I loved it)

The Bookshop on the Corner by Jenny Colgan:

There was no bookshop and there was no corner. So. That was kind of confusing. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting but it was alright.
35574989
Song of a Captive Bird by Jasmin Dapznik:

I loved this fictionalized memoir SO MUCH. It was so interesting; I was surprised at how readable it was, considering memoirs are not really my thing. And, bonus points, it's written by an Iranian author about an Iranian poet so it brought some much needed diversity to my reading. (PS the headers in my review are like my favorite thing I've ever made EVER)

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater:

159957478788554Let's face it, we have probably all heard about this series and how AMAZING it is. I never expected it to live up to the hype because the hype out there is insane. However, I was shocked when I read it and fell in love! It really is good.


First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones:

I was surprised at how bad this one turned out for me. The main character was 100x too snarky (and man did that get on my nerves) AND there was some really problematic themes regarding consent. There is a scene where the main character is basically sexually assaulted in an alley by DON'T WORRY GUYS it's okay...because he was hot (?!).


That's it for me! What about you? What are some of your most surprising reads? 

No comments