Stacking the Shelves: My first ARCs!

Stacking the Shelves is a weekly series created by tyngas reviews where I talk about the books I've recently added to my ever growing bookshelf.

It's happened y'all.

Ever since I started blogging (many moons aka 3 months ago) I've seen advanced readers copy books pop up on almost every book blog I perused. If you're like me and are slightly out of the loop, ARCs are advanced digital or print editions of books that are sent out pre-publication in order to drum up publicity and awareness. This is helpful for any book but especially for books from small publishing companies or by new authors.

Since I almost exclusively read library books, the idea of getting free books didn't really hold any special appeal, and so I never applied for digital ARCs.

Until now.

Too much free time at work (I'm at a weird point hovering in between projects right now) meant that I finally got around to figuring out how NetGallery (big site to get digital ARCs) worked, and applying for my first ARCs.

And to my massive shock and surprise, I was approved, and several digital ARCs found their way onto my Kindle! Like. What?










A feel good romance featuring a feisty main character and tons of knitting references. I'm enjoying it thus far!

The Medievalist by Anne-Marie Lacy
A time slip novel (aka one of my favorite genres). We'll see if it meets my high expectations. 

Sing a New Song by Lydia Brownback
A Christian study of one of my favorite parts of the Bible, the Psalms! I never read through study books on my own, so I'm excited about this one. Also can we talk about how gorgeous this cover is??

That's it! Since three books magically appeared on  my Kindle (seriously though technology is amazing) AND I still have two library books that need to be read, I didn't pick up any more books.

What about you? Are you a fan of ARCs or like me have just started reading them??

14 comments

  1. YAY! Congrats on getting your first ARCs! It's almost like a rite of passage! NetGalley is awesome and there are so many great publishers that use the site. You should also try Edelweiss! It's just like NetGalley (i.e. digital galleys) but even more publishers (bigger houses too) use it. Plus, it's fun to browse all of the catalogs, both current and backlist. I hope you enjoy all of your new books!

    Have a wonderful weekend, Anna. =)

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! I really should check out Edelweiss.
      Thanks, you too! :)

      Delete
  2. Yay for figuring out Netgalley. Just be careful or you may end up like me with over 100 books to read and review. You seem to have more self-control than me though, so you'll probably be fine. - Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that does seem to be the danger in getting ARCs, it's hard to stop hitting that request button!

      Delete
  3. Congrats! I don't read e-books, so my options for ARCs are pretty limited. Sometimes I'm approached by an indie author, and I've won a few from Goodreads. Hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really cool, being approached by authors! I've only entered like one Goodreads giveaway, I should sign up for more.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your first ARCs! NetGalley is pretty awesome. I hope you love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Woolly Hat Knitting Club looks like fun, and I only joined NetGalley a couple of years ago...maybe more, knowing how time flies. But I continue to be amazed by the lovely books I receive.

    Enjoy! Here are MY WEEKLY UPDATES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really fun read, I'm looking forward to writing the review!
      It is a really cool system, isn't it?

      Delete
  6. NetGalley is pretty awesome but addictive. I rarely read anything that isn't an ARC anymore just because I have so many to read. Enjoy your new books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so addictive! I'm trying really hard to limit myself so that I can still get in some old reads as well.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your first ARCs! NetGalley is a dangerous world but so much fun! I over requested just starting out and I'm still trying to recover. The Woolly Hat Knitting Club looks really cute. Looking forward to your review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Medievalist sounds interesting! I may or may not have just put in a Netgalley request for it...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yayayay!!! I'm sooooo happy for you! NetGalley is great, I was actual reading ARCs before I even had a blog :) have fun with it! Just keep in mind not to request too many because I'm still dealing with the first two or three downloading sprees I had when I just joined the platform xD
    P.S. Join Edelweiss!! :)

    ReplyDelete