Top Ten Tuesday: 4 Books I did not finish

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

"Life's too short to read a bad book." --James Joyce

For years, when faced with a book that was either not my cup of tea or a verifiably poorly written one, I would either make myself finish it, or feel terribly guilty not finishing it. This is, of course, a silly mentality-- why waste time reading a bad book when there are so many amazing books out there? Why force myself to read a book that I know isn't for me? 

This whole scenario became more complicated when I started to check out ebooks from my library. Now, if I didn't stay on top of a book, if I wasn't motivated to finish it in a timely manner, then the book just disappeared from my e-reader. I no longer had that physical reminder, the book staring at me as I made a conscious decision to stop reading it.

With that being said, I have two categories for books that I did not finish: books that I couldn't finish on time, and books I chose to stop reading.

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Hidden Figures by Margot Shetterly

These two books are good books-- but I struggled through both of them. News of the World was more literary than I typically read, and Hidden Figures was a tad bit too dry. Since I already have trouble getting through non-fiction, I wasn't able to make progress on the book before it was automatically returned to the library. I want to try both of these books again in the future!
Reader I Married Him edited by Tracey Chevalier

The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest by Melanie Dickerson

These two books are both books I disliked too much to get more than 50% through. Read, I Married Him is a collection of short stories loosely inspired by Jane Eyre and I didn't like any of the stories. The Huntress of Thornbeck Forest was too simplistic of a tale for my taste, and the plot was too predictable. Which is a shame, as the cover was gorgeous! 


What about you? Have you recently given up on a book? Was it a time issue or did you not like it?

14 comments

  1. I rarely give up on books, I used to never DNF, these days I'm trying to not waste my time if I really don't like the start of a book. But I find it hard to just walk away! If you haven't seen the Hidden Figures film, it's amazing and filled with humour, no dryness there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo I loved the film! That's what convinced me to give the book a go.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I have heard great things about both News of the World and Hidden Figures. Sorry to here that they were either too literary or too dry!

    Here's a link to my TTT post this week:
    https://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2017/09/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-that-were.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I think that they are both good books-- I just couldn't finish this time. I do want to read them eventually!

      Delete
  3. I occasionally DNF, but luckily it doesn't happen too often. Still, if a book's not working for me it's better to DNF because I won't be motivated to read it anyway, and it will sit! Non fiction books in particular I have to be pretty into, or I might drift away...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it makes sense to DNF a book if it's just going to sit and gather dust! Right, there are a few non fiction books that I've really been into, but if I'm not, they are so hard to finish!

      Delete
  4. I used to feel the same way about DNF a book. I hated to do it and most of the time I forced myself into finishing them. Nowadays I'll keep pushing just a little bit further and if that still doesn't work, I stop. Life's too short and I have way too many books that want my attention haha. I haven't read any of these but I did see the movie version of Hidden Figures and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't the movie amazing?? Right, life's just too short for me to waste time on books I don't love.

      Delete
  5. I came over to your blog to check out your "Did Not Finish List" but found this post intriguing and besides, haven't read any of your DNF books.. I don't worry about football until after the World Series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the post! Haha the college football season is so short, I don't want to wait until after the World Series to watch. Luckily there's like 5 baseball games and 1 football game per week so it's not a huge time commitment to watch football.

      Delete
  6. This disappearing ebook is definitely a challenge. I instantly forget all about it! I'm not all that much better about books I've had to return to the library unread either. I've heard Hidden Figures is a bit on the dry side but it's one I think I'd push through with as well. I do agree that life's to short but I have a hard time actually giving up on a book for some reason!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Sometimes when I have a physical copy of a book staring at me I feel pressure to finish it but it's so easy to forget about ebooks! I agree, it's so hard to give up on a book.

      Delete
  7. I also have trouble getting through nonfiction reads a lot of the time. I
    have Reader, I Married Him sitting on my shelf, but I haven't been compelled to pick it up yet. I don't typically have the best luck with short story collections. Sorry to hear you didn't love the book version of Hidden Figures-especially since the movie is so delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a go! The good thing about short stories is that they aren't a huge time commitment. I know, the movie was so great!

      Delete