Top Ten Tuesday: 4 Childhood Favorites

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

Growing up, I lived my adventures through the flipping white pages of library novels-- the bigger the better. When life seemed boring-- when reality was merely humdrum, literature promised the impossible, a crisp dive into a universe that was refreshingly different.

 Books have unique powers when we are young; they leave impressions on us like marks on drying clay, which, once hardened to adulthood, is no longer so malleable. There is a certain magic to books you read as a kid, so when the folks over at the broke and the bookish listed this week's top ten tuesday as a throwback freebie, I knew I had to talk about a couple books I read and loved as a child.

Harry Potter by JK Rowling

When I was a kid, I was browsing books at a local grocery store while my parents were checking out. Out of boredom mainly, I picked up the second book in the HP series, read the first page-- and was hooked. My parents tried to convince me to start by reading the first book but, as I had already seen the movie, I started with the Chamber of Secrets, and only years later went back and read the first one.







Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls

I kept track of how many times I had read this book by making marks on my second grade desk. ((11 times by my recollection, apparently I hadn't developed my aversion to rereading books by this age!)) It was a beautiful heartbreaking book that made me want to go buy two bloodhounds.











A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

I actually don't remember much about this book, other than how much I loved reading it and the following books.













Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

This book, about a boy who is stranded in the wilderness and learns how to fend for himself, fascinated me. I dreamed of living off the land like he did, deliberately ignoring the fact that I hate bugs and love indoor plumbing.












What about you? What books stole your imagination growing up? Which ones do you still remember?

16 comments

  1. I read Harry Potter as an adult and I sometimes wonder if it would have been different if I read it when I was younger. But I do love those books so much! There are a couple books from my childhood that I remember today, Bridge to Terabithia and Behind the Attic Wall. Oh, and The Phantom Tollbooth! I thought that book was so clever, I should reread it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is crazy how reading books at different parts of your life is like reading completely different books-- I don't know what I would have thought about harry potter if I only read the books as an adult!
      I feel like growing up I heard of Bridge to Terabithia so much but I still have no clue what the plot was ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh we read Where the Red Fern Grows in school and I was quite emotional at the end! That and Old Yeller- good grief. I remember them fondly though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just heart breaking?? Apparently I was a masochistic child, reading that ending eleven times ;)

      Delete
  3. I love ALL of these! My 5th grade teacher read A Wrinkle in Time to us and my 3rd grade teacher read Where the Red Fern Grows. And I've never forgotten them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so interesting how deeply books can affect us as children?? There are some books I read growing up that I have since forgotten, but there are definitely some I'll never forget.

      Delete
  4. Harry Potter was definitely one of my favourites when I was a kid, still is really!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/12/top-ten-tuesday-124/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a series I think I will always love :)

      Delete
  5. I remember being fascinated by Hatchet too, and I'm still traumatized by Where the Red Fern Grows! I never read A Wrinkle in Time but I did reread L'Engle's A Ring of Endless Light countless times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it such a heartbreaking beautiful story?? I don't remember A Ring of Endless Light (though it is completely possible I just forgot about it!).

      Delete
  6. I loved A Wrinkle in Time but somehow missed that there were more. I'm hoping to fix that soon as I just reread A Wrinkle in Time and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to continuing with the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I will re-read any of these books...it would feel too weird, reading something that child me loved so much but that might not hold my imagination the same way anymore.

      Delete
  7. Haha I love that you started with The Chamber of Secrets instead of Sorcerer's Stone! CoS was actually my least favorite of all of them (both book and movie). I can't really pinpoint why but it just didn't resonate with me much. A Wrinkle in Time was one of my absolute favorite books growing up!!! I read it probably 4 times. I'll be honest and admit a lot of the details have long been forgotten but the love of it still burns in the back of my mind! Oh gosh, Where the Red Fern Grows. We had to read that in class chapter by chapter and I actually SOBBED in the middle of class when we got to the end. It was embarrassing but omg that book packs a punch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha CoS is probably my least favorite as well! You're right, I can't really explain why...I just loved the others so much more. Aww I can't believe y'all read that in class! I would have cried too.

      Delete
  8. I ALMOST included Where The Red Fern Grows on my list because I remember it fondly but I also remember it taking me forever to get through? It was many, many years ago so time has distorted my memory of it and I need to re-read before I call it a favourite. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's so interesting-- I definitely struggled through some books growing up, but for whatever reasons Where the Red Fern Grows wasn't one of them.

      Delete