Beautiful Books: NaNo '17

I'm linking up with the beautiful books tag by Paper and Fury!

In case you haven't heard, I am participating in National Novel Writing Month which takes place every year during November. The goal is to write 50,000 words in one month; I started NaNo waayy back when I was in high school. This year is actually the 10th anniversary of my first Nano! Which is absurd. 

When I came across this link-up/tag for NaNo novels I knew I had to jump in. I've been too busy to find to do stuff like, you know, plan the novel I'm going to write; these questions helped me think maybe a bit more about my project. This way I've got two birds with just one post. 

*sigh* have I told you how in love I am with my new lens? 


1.What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea?
A couple of winters ago, a few friends and I were wandering down dark streets in downtown New Orleans. It was horribly surprisingly cold and we were on what ended up being like a two hour hunt for dinner. My friend had introduced me to A Madness of Angels (one of my all time favorites books) and I was struck by the mystic of New Orleans and how well it was suited for a magical realism novel. He (or I?) turned back and pointed out how well suited this city of voodoo was for such a venture. And thus this ill-fated idea was born! 

2. Describe what your novel is about!
Two friends struggle to survive grad school (what no this isn't a memoir) when one of them suddenly disappears, leading her friend to plunge into a world she never knew existed to try and get her back. 

3.What is your book’s aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like!
 If you're a writer you've probably heard some cockamany  well-intentioned advice about being concise or limiting your flowery metaphors etc etc. I started writing this project out of a desire to do the exact opposite of what I had been told was right. I spent sentences on metaphors, anthropomorphizing like there was no tomorrow and I loved every second of it.

this is a beautifully empty page just waiting for to like...plot or something
4.Introduce us to each of your characters!
Get ready for some vague answers!

MC -- our fearless main character (name still to be determined) spent her childhood believing in every stray fairy tale and ghost story. Now in grad school, her world is strictly bounded by the laws of science. 

Friend-- she's in grad school to study anthropology, but mainly to focus on voodoo, let's be honest. 

Guide -- he's still a pretty sketchy, but important, character. Summoned quite by accident he and MC mostly just yell at each other as he introduces her to the veins of magic running around her. 

5.How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?)
If it's not already terribly apparent, I have some outlining I desperately need to do. I've spent a lot of time thinking about the plot, but the actual writing down of ideas has yet to really happen. Also I plan on stocking up on mini-cokes and goldfish because if that isn't the snack of champions I don't know what is.


6. What are you most looking forward to about this novel?
Actually getting the story out from my head and onto the page! Last year's NaNo was the first NaNo where I actually wrote a beginning, middle, and end of a novel and man, that feeling is addicting. 

7. List 3 things about your novel’s setting. 
New Orleans, old decrypted cemeteries, piled high dusty thrift stores. 

8. What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way?
The main character's goal is to find her missing friend. What stands in the way? Police who don't believe a 23 year old adult is really 'missing', a pissed off un-helpful boyfriend of said friend, and herself. (wooahh how deep) 

9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel?
She comes to accept that there are mystical things all around her-- and learns how to live with not understanding everything. 

10. What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over?
One of my favorite themes, stolen shamelessly from the webseries Carmilla, is when a main character boldly does what she believes to be the 100% right moral thing, and inadvertently hurts those around her and messes everything up even further. It's a theme I played with during last year's NaNo and one I hope to pick up again. 

And that's it! What about you, my fellow NaNo-ers (? nano-ites? nanos? nachos? okay now I'm hungry) What's your novel going to be about? Anyone else feel woefully unprepared? No? Just me? Well, be sure to friend me on the NaNo website regardless :) 

No comments