Austen-themed books || 2 mini reviews

Recently I read two books that I didn't love/hate enough to sit down and write a real, in-depth, review. Conveniently I was able to cobble together a little theme to lump these two mini-reviews together. They are both (however tenuously) Jane Austen-themed. Kind of. Sort of. Okay just keep reading.


248483 Austenland by Shannon Hale

This novel is a fun, quirky story about a woman who goes on a Regency vacation where actors are paid to portray Austen-esque characters designed to court and 'fall in love' with the vacationers. Sound weird? Yeah, same. The plot is only partially believable (seriously? people are paid to talk to you and that's...fun?) but once you get past that it was a cute little story. That being said I would definitely not read the second book-- once was enough.


13055971
Pies and Prejudice by Ellery Adams

The title is a completely gratuitous Austen-reference as this book resembles an Austen novel like finger painting resembles the Mona Lisa. In short: a cozy murder mystery with a stereotypical evil-because-duh-evil villain. The only saving grace of this book was the emphasis placed on female relationships-- mother-daughter, aunt-niece, etc. Female relationships can be hard to come by in novels, where the focus tends to laser in on romantic relationships only. That being said, the female relationships is about to the only thing this book did right. Ain't no way I'm reading the sequel.


That's it for me! If you are interested in other Jane Austen-themed stuff I wrote an entire post on my favorite Pride and Prejudice adaptations. Let me know-- what is your favorite Austen-themed-inspired-etc-work? 

No comments